Here are some interesting facts about smiling posted on the website Completely You:
1. Smiling uses only 17 muscles when frowning uses 43.
2. A woman on average smiles 62 times a day while men only average 8 smiles a day.
3. Even a newborn is able to smile with the first one appearing within two hours of birth!
4. Smiling has a stress reducing effect. A smile can also lower blood pressure and have a calming effect.
5. Smiling makes us more attractive. In a study 69% of participants viewed a woman as younger and more attractive with a smile more so than make up.
6. Smiling can prolong the years in your life and the quality of your life. A University of Illinois study showed that those who smile average a decade longer life expectancy.
7. Smiling makes us feel good, inside and out. Smiling releases endorphins and serotonin, "the feel good chemical in your brain".
8. Smiling can be an indicator of a happy marriage. More marriages of people who smile were also linked to happiness. It may result from smiling as a sign of being able to express emotions or that smilers attract happier mates.
9. Smiling can help boost immunity to fight that winter cold. Smiling causes your body to release antibodies and T cells.
10. Finally Smiling is contagious. Research shows that it is the body's natural response to smile or even slightly turn up the corners of your mouth even unconsciously.
So make it a good day and smile!